Home > News > NK Human Rights Issues

Date : January 14, 2020
NK criticize government calls for self-reliance
   https://www.dailynk.com/english/n-koreans-criticize-government-calls-f [816]
N. Koreans criticize government calls for self-reliance

Many North Koreans are criticizing North Korean leader Kim Jong Uns calls for self-reliance at a recent Central Committee plenary session and are expressing particular disappointment at failed US-North Korean talks and signs that the government will reassert control over private businesses. 

Last year, many North Koreans thought they had found lifeline when negotiations began with the US, a Pyongyang-based source told Daily NK on Jan. 6. After hearing Kims remarks at the plenary session, however, people are saying the future looks bleak. Theyre worried about how theyll survive another year.

Meanwhile, a Ryanggang Province-based source told Daily NK that he had felt US-DPRK relations were in trouble when he started hearing about North Koreas new path before the plenary session. 

I knew for sure that everything had gone up in smoke when I heard about Kims promise to engage in a long and difficult struggle [against the US], he said. There had been rumors circulating since last year that the hard times would come again, and I realized then that the rumors had not been wrong. ......

[Source: Daily NK]

Prev  Next