Home > News > NK Human Rights Issues

Date : September 18, 2019
Soldiers dispatched to uranium mine
   https://www.dailynk.com/english/soldiers-dispatched-to-pyongsan-uraniu [676]
Soldiers dispatched to Pyongsan uranium mine

North Korea has recently dispatched soldiers who finished their mandatory service periods to a uranium mine in Pyongsan, North Hwanghae Province, Daily NK has learned. This news comes after the UN Security Council Committee tasked with monitoring sanctionson North Korea released a report on September 5 stating that uranium is still being mined at the site. 

After soldiers finish their mandatory service they normally return home, but these soldiers appear to be have been stationed at the site against their will, a North Hwanghae Province-based source told Daily NK on Monday. 

Uranium is still being mined at the site in Pyongsan and uranium refinement facilities are still operational, the source continued, adding that the mining of uranium for the countrys nuclear program is likely to continue given that the authorities have recently stationed a large number of soldiers there. 

North Korea continues to suggest internationally that it plans to pursue the denuclearization process, but there is evidence to the contrary inside the country. That officials have openly stationed soldiers at the mine suggests that the regime is indicating to its domestic audience that it does not intend to give up its nuclear program. ......

[Source: Daily NK]

Prev  Next